When the fight card for EFC AFRICA 09 was conceived it was crafted with one word in mind: Big. And that’s exactly what the 6500 fans got: big fights, bigger fighters and some of the biggest names in African MMA all under one roof.
Not a single fight failed to deliver; from the featherweights who fought with massive heart, the super heavyweights who rocked the Coca-Cola Dome and each other; to the heavyweight title fight that saw a new heavyweight champion, in Ruan “Fangzz” Potts crowned. The “of the night” awards were given to Wade Groth and Leon Mynhardt for Knockout of the night and Leo Gloss and Charlie Weyer for fight of the night.
The results of the evening are as follows:
– Tyrone “The Rush” Rightford defeated Tshikangu “Jorma” Makuebo by way of majority decision (3 rounds).
– Wade Groth defeated Ashley Calvert by way of KO (35 seconds into the 3rd round).
– Jeremy Scheepers defeated Raymond Ahana by unanimous decision (3 rounds).
– Wade Henderson defeated Mawande Vapi via submission, rear naked choke (1 min 30 seconds into the 1st round).
– Wentzel Nel defeated Manny Da Silva by way of TKO (3 mins 57 seconds into the 1st round).
– Terrence Griessel defeated Donald Nzirawa via Unanimous decision (3 rounds).
– Martin Van Staden defeated Steven Momah by way of TKO (2 mins 22 seconds into the 1st round).
– Dewalt Botes defeated Wilhelm Strauss by way of verbal submission (3 mins 41 seconds into the 1st round).
– Leon Mynhardt defeated Francois Kabulu via Knockout (2 mins 57 seconds into the 3rd round).
– Andrew Van Zyl defeated Bernardo Mikixi via TKO (1 mins 10 seconds into the 2nd round).
– Leo Gloss beats Charlie Weyer via unanimous decision (3 rounds).
– Jeremy Smith defeats Liam Cleleand via TKO (4 mins 59 seconds into the 1st round).
– Ruan Potts defeats Norman Chef Wessels by TKO (4 mins 21 seconds into the 3rd round).
EFC AFRICA 10 takes place at Carnival City on 1 September.
Tickets are available at Computicket www.computicket.com.